Friday, April 28, 2006

NOTAS DE BOLIVIA: top models

I am sitting at the back bar at Mongo's, a gringo bar in La Paz where locals also go, with Matthias, a German/Kiwi friend. In walk three young, pretty Bolivian girls and an older Bolivian man. They sit next to us at the bar. After they order, the guy starts to talk to us in english. It seems he went to school in Madison, Wisconsin for engineering.
"Are you an engineer down here?" I ask.
"No, I work in the movies. I also worked in New York for HBO, I had my own production company."
"Well, why did you decide to move back down here?"
"My father died. I didn't really have a choice. But I have my own company here, now." He hands me his card. "These girls are in the movie I am working on." They smile. They all have ponytails and two have hoop earrings. One has a t-shirt that says "I (HEART) ME" in sparkles. He says something to the girls and turns back to me. "I'll be back in a minute. Here, talk to her. She's trying to work on her english."
I ask them their names. They are drinking things like Bailey's or Kaluha and smoking cigarettes. I ask them how old they are. Two say "Dieciséis.", and one says "Dieciocho".
"Que tipo de pelicula ustedes son las estrellas de?" I ask.
"Romantico." They all say.
I look at the card I had been given. It is all pink and says "Top Models".

1 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin said...

how do you speak spanish now?

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home